You spent months or perhaps years trying to solve your housing dilemma. Now you recently made a couple of major decisions about your next home.
- You zeroed in on the bustling city of Scottsdale, Arizona, just east of Phoenix, the state capital, as the place you want to live.
- You don’t want to rent and you have enough savings to make a down payment on a home. But for various reasons, you would prefer to buy a condominium, or condo, instead of purchasing a single-family home.
Congratulations! Scottsdale, AZ is a vibrant, growing Phoenix suburb that embraces its Western heritage along with a forward-thinking ethic – with plenty of condos for sale.
Scottsdale is home to more than 240,000 residents (an increase from 90,000 in 1980 and only around 10,000 in 1960). Scottsdale is the fourth-largest, by population, of 14 cities in Maricopa County, which has 4.42 million residents. Only the cities of Phoenix, Mesa, and Chandler have more residents in the county.
Plenty Of Condo Options In Scottsdale, Arizona
There are literally hundreds of homes and condos for sale Scottsdale AZ right now, with new listings coming on the market every day.
Part of the condo-buying process is determining how much you can afford to spend on your new Scottsdale condo. You should scrupulously review your current and projected savings and income, then make an honest projection about what you can afford monthly. Then be sure to get pre-qualified by a reputable lender to help streamline the buying process once you select the perfect place.
Don’t forget to factor in your down payment, closing fees, taxes, insurance, and monthly homeowners association (HOA) fees to determine both your initial and monthly housing expenses.
Once you know your budget, it’s time to move ahead to the fun stuff, deciding on the must-have features you cannot live without.
Wish Lists & Must-Haves For Scottsdale, AZ Condos
Whether you desire to move into a brand-new or existing Scottsdale condo, there is a long list of items to consider during your search. In addition to the purchase price, monthly mortgage payment, and HOA fees, the location within the city and the floor and the view are perhaps the most important factors.
But there are many other items to consider. Let’s look at some of the things that may be on your wish list or list of “must-haves” to help you narrow down your ideal Scottsdale condo:
- Location within the City of Scottsdale: With dozens of condos to choose from in Scottsdale, another important issue is location. The city limits of Scottsdale extend north of downtown past McDowell Mountain Regional Park, but most of the current condos for sale within the city of Scottsdale are closer to downtown in the southern part of the city.
- Age, architectural quality, design and finishes: Some buildings make a statement while others could use refurbishing. Do you prefer a new building or something older, with more character? How upscale do you want to go? What compromises can you live with to stay within budget?
- Floor and view: Penthouses are almost always more expensive than the floors below. Second- or third-floor condos may have the view interrupted by trees. Another decision is based partly on the budget, but also important for the quality of life and resale value. Remember why you decided on a condo? Go to the floor with a view.
- What kind of security does the condo have – video or human personnel, or both? Another primary reason people choose condominium homes is because of the added security and the peace of mind it brings. Pick a place with both human personnel and video security.
- Is parking for you and your guests secure, abundant, and convenient? Most households have more than one car and people come to visit. Everybody – you and your guests – want zero parking hassles.
- Will your pet be able to live there? This could be a deal-breaker, especially if you have a big dog. Make sure you ask about your specific pet before you fall in love with a place.
- Are concierge or similar services offered? What other amenities, luxuries, and comforts are offered – and at what additional cost?: An efficient, savvy concierge can save you time and money on all sorts of things. It’s like having a personal assistant. Many condominiums offer other amenities, luxuries, and comforts to residents and their guests. At a cost. Learn about what is and is not included to make a more informed decision when buying a condo.
- Is there a better-than-satisfactory swimming pool? What’s a condo without the pool? But does the pool measure up at the condo you are considering? How clean is the pool deck? How crowded is it? What amenities (shower, towels, cabana service) are available?
- Is there a fitness room, a playground or recreation area as well as adequate laundry facilities? An upscale condo should have all these amenities. Check them all out to see how well equipped and/or maintained they are.
There are a host of other questions to consider. Here are just a few more:
- Are you comfortable with the proposed monthly HOA fees? What about future assessments?
- Do you get the right vibe about the place and its residents (your potential new neighbors)?
- Do the staff and crew seem professional and friendly?
- What is the cleanliness of the common areas and how often are they cleaned?
- Are there adequate social opportunities arranged by condominium staff that allow residents to meet, mingle and interact?
- Is there a business or computer room and/or library or theater?
- What is the projected appreciation in property value and how does it compare to similar nearby condos?
Refine Your Must-Haves List To Find The Best Condos For Sale In Scottsdale, Arizona
As you can see, there are dozens of questions that can provoke anxiety about finding the ideal condo for sale in Scottsdale, AZ. But if you systematically tackle the details, you will be miles ahead in picking the best condo to fit your needs and budget in sunny Scottsdale.