Know what cannabidiol is and see what great health benefits it has in its store to offer you!
Whether you got the suggestion of using CBD from a friend, prescribed by a professional, or just have come across the name on the internet and become curious to know about CBD, whatever the scenario maybe, you have come to the right place if you are seeking a briefing on CBD.
This article will give you a clear image of what exactly CBD is, how it works and is it something worth trying.
What Is CBD?
CBD, the short form of cannabidiol, is a phytocannabinoid that is found in hemp plants. This non-psychoactive compound is well known for helping, aiding, and supporting the body and mind of humans in many different ways.
There is confusion about cannabidiol. Some confuse it with the oil extracted from hemp seeds. But CBD is different from hemp oil. While CBD contains cannabinoids, hemp oil does not.
Moreover, some think that CBD and marijuana are the same and many believe CBD comes from marijuana whereas the reality is something different from both notions, CBD comes from hemp plants, not the marijuana plants. The main difference is, less than 0.3% THC is found in hemp when marijuana contains a higher concentration of this psychoactive compound. THC is short of Tetrahydrocannabinol, a crystalline compound that is the main active ingredient of cannabis plants.
How Is It Consumed?
For getting health benefits CBD is typically consumed as CBD oil. CBD oil is made by extracting CBD from the cannabis plants and then diluting it with oil like coconut oil that acts as the carrier ingredients. Some also try it as gummies by Smile CBD, truffles, or even mints.
Different products from CBD oils and hemp extracts are now hugely available in the marketplace, a great number of people are getting positive results in their overall wellbeing after using this non-intoxicating molecule, CBD, in their daily dietary routine.
How Does It Work?
You may think that as CBD is like marijuana it may get people high. But although CBD is one of the components among hundreds of ingredients of marijuana, it does not make people “high” by itself. The World Health Organization stated in a report that CBD does not contain any substance that indicates it has abusive or dependence potential that can be addictive.
CBD has the potential to help in maintaining the overall wellbeing of the human body, especially by increasing the Endocannabinoid System (ECS) and through entourage effects.
Endocannabinoid System (ECS)
ECS which was discovered in the 1990s is a vital receptor of the human body. It is acknowledged as one of the most crucial receptors for sustaining good health. It is also a very important modulatory system that helps the functions of the brain, endocrine, and immune tissues of our body.
Research has found that our Endocannabinoid System responds to both the Endogenous cannabinoids which are produced in the body and the external Phytocannabinoids. When the system responds to the CBD the ECS function gets enhanced. We take external Phytocannabinoids through consuming CBDs to boost the ECS function.
There are two ECS receptors in our body named CB1 and CB2. These receptor cells act as locks and the cannabinoids work as the keys.
Our brain contains a high number of CB1 receptors, it is found mostly in the Hypothalamus, Amygdala, and Hippocampus. And the CB2 receptors are located mostly in the tonsils, thymus, spleen, and immune cells.
By balancing the endocannabinoid system and increasing the level of CBD in blood, many disease progression can be slowed down or can even be blocked.
The “Entourage Effect”
While looking for the cannabinoids or CBD you may come across the term “entourage effect” and wonder what that is supposed to mean or is it even important? Well, this effect results when the cannabinoids, flavonoids, terpenes, and fatty acids, which are naturally contained in the hemp plants, work together. It is a positive and beneficial result due to the synergic interaction of the compounds instead of working individually.
Benefits Of CBD
CBD has significant therapeutic attributes that help many to live healthier. Many of us often prefer and seek alternatives that are more in sync with natural processes to pharmaceuticals that have harsh side effects. Among many some benefits that CBD offers are as follows:
- It is scientifically observed that CBD can help in relieving chronic pain, inflammation, anxiety, depression, and many other severe conditions. It helps people with skin diseases like acne, dermatitis, psoriasis, etc.
- Moreover, it has the potential to treat patients suffering from neurological conditions such as Alzheimer’s, dementia, Parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, Huntington’s chorea, stroke, and traumatic brain injury.
- Patients with metabolic syndrome-like diabetes and obesity can get help through this safe and non-addictive substance, CBD.
- CBD has the potential to affect the human brain. Cannabidiol restricts the breakdown of the chemical that influences our mood, pain, and mental function.
- Preventing the breakdown of the chemical also tends to decrease some psychotic symptoms related to conditions like schizophrenia.
- This Non-intoxicating substance, CBD, might also help in limiting some of the psychoactive effects of THC.
Cautions Need To Be Followed
Before buying and consuming CBD products, there are several factors that you need to consider. Be sure to check the following:
- Be sure the CBD products that you intend to buy are extracted from good quality hemp which is cultivated with great care and follows a good manufacturing practice.
- Make sure to buy CBD products that are made with full or broad-spectrum oil as it provides full scopes of health benefits.
- To ensure what you are putting in your body, it is important to check if the product you are buying is lab tested by a third party or not.
- Also, ensure the product you are consuming contains less than 3% THC.
- Try to find organic products which means you are consuming fewer amounts of pesticides and other chemicals.
Cannabinoids are promising in many therapeutic ways. Moreover, this plant extract is safe and addictive substance-free. There are many edible CBDs available. Maintain the cautions and consume if you feel the necessity.