Moving home is an exciting time filled with new beginnings and new ways of doing things. However, amid all the excitement, we must not forget that certain administrative tasks have to be completed to transfer to a new place to run as smoothly as possible. Here are a few examples to get you started.

Notices Of Address Change

You might think that the admin tasks will all end once you get quotes from a variety of moving companies and speak to your bank about a mortgage, but there is plenty more to do besides.

Certain people and organizations will need to know your new address as soon as possible after you relocate. This includes banks and other financial institutions, schools and universities, debtors and creditors, and friends and family members you want to keep updated on your plans, as well as plenty more. Once you’ve set a moving date and verified your new address, you can begin sending out change of address notifications to those who need it.

In certain situations, you will need to change your address in person with proper identification, while in others, you can just send a letter or go online and fill out a form or send an email. Because there are different requirements and probably many people to tell, this job may take some time, so get started as soon as possible.

Your Mail

If you sent out change of address notifications and missed anybody, it is a good idea to have your mail forwarded to your new address for six months or so. This way, if you get a misdirected letter or bill, you’ll know who still has your old address and will be able to contact them to change it once you receive mail from them.

It’s also a matter of security to arrange for your mail to be redirected. If you allow your mail to continue to be delivered to your old address, identity thieves could steal your information, so be cautious and set up a redirection for your own peace of mind, if nothing else.


You will need various insurances when you move, and it is better to arrange them before the move occurs, just in case. Building insurance is only required if you purchase the property; the landlord should have this in place if you are renting. However, you should ensure your goods with contents insurance in case of theft or damage. This includes your heating system, refrigerator, freezer, and other larger items, as well as any jewelry and precious or expensive possessions.

When looking into insurance, it’s a good idea to look into your own life insurance as well. It might be that you already have it, but that your new mortgage is larger or smaller than the old one, so your previous life insurance won’t be useful anymore, for example.


When you leave your last house for the final time, note the readings on the gas, electricity, and water meters. You can then send this information to your provider to get an accurate final charge. You should also collect meter readings as soon as you arrive at your new home so that you can begin paying your new providers right away.

You may keep the same utility provider, but this will depend on where you are moving from and whether that company will still cover you.

Write A Comment